Saturday, August 29, 2009

There's a Story Behind Every Door


I walked to the Farmer's Market by myself this morning. Foggy, humid and quiet. The kids usually go with me. But after my daughter's first week at school, they both slept in.

I had a little quiet time all by myself. A nice experience while walking amongst the old houses of our centuries old little town. I couldn't help thinking about the history that has taken place here. And, in each house. Federal style homes from the late 1700's and early 1800's; many victorians dating from the mid 1880's; numerous buildings built around the early 1900's after the fire that took place in Warrenton. The picture is from a building down the street which we believe was a girl's school but after recent renovation, is now a retirement home.

The Black Horse Cavalry was in residence here during the Civil War and there were several battles that took place in and around Warrenton. One house in Old Town held troops for a bit.

I couldn't help thinking there were stories lurking everywhere. Literally. From past characters to the current residents. So many, one writer may not be able to get to all of them in his/her lifetime.

Maybe I don't need all the "idea books" I have purchased over the past few years. All I need is to go for a walk!

What stories are lurking around your neighborhood?

2 comments:

  1. I love historical buildings. And you are right; there are zillion stories lurking behind them. You better get busy writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, girl! You're hometown screamed at me to write Attack at Fleetwood Hill! Now...if I could just sell the darn thing! lol

    ReplyDelete